Thursday, October 9, 2008

My Dad is a Soldier


My five year old daughter Aayet has taken her father’s departure after a month’s long leave very badly. It’s been four days and she refuses to eat her dinner. She says she’ll have it only when Abba comes back. I have been trying and trying really hard to keep things as normal for her and for my son as I can. But at times I feel nothing seems to work, especially when she is really missing her Abba.
Yesterday she was sitting with one of his socks and crying. I guess being an army officer’s daughter it is just one of the sacrifices she would be making while Dad is away on field postings. I very strongly feel that we army families are some what a silent species. Most of the people just don’t comprehend the circumstances we exist in. Here, is a beautiful poem I came across and would like to share with you all.


My Dad Is A Soldier
My dad is a soldier. I can not lie
When he went it made me cry
It made me feel angry, alone, and afraid.
I find myself wishing that he could have stayed.
Im not sure I understand just why he had to go.
But I do understand that he could not say no.
I am so proud of my dad, for he's loyal, brave and true.
People say he's protecting my freedom and your freedom too.
The comforts of home, he must terribly miss.
He must feel so alone, with no one to hug and to kiss.
I want to hear the voice of my dad and feel the warmth of his arms.
When he wraps them around me, I feel protected from harm.
My dad is a soldier, I can not lie.When he returns home, it will make me cry.
by Michele
In countries like US they have full fledged inspirational programs for the children of deployed parents. There are numerous books for children as well as the mothers on how to cope with seperation. They even have a concept of Daddy Dolls. These dolls are the brainchild of two moms who are married to deployed marines. They wanted to make the separation easier for their children while "keeping their fathers close to their heart." The idea has been very well received and now you can get your own Daddy doll. All you have to do is to give them a three megapixel photo of dad in his uniform and they turn it into a cuddly 12- or 18-inch cotton doll.
I hope we Indians as a nation also wake up to the sacrifices made by our soldiers and take some meaningful action to make lives of our soldiers a bit better. Amen.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey!! I had knots in my tummy.....
Very emotional post. True no one can truly imagine a soldier and his family's life.

Anonymous said...

WOW!! I SWEAR EACH TIME I READ YOUR POST, I CRY, I FEEL AS THOUGH IM WITH YOU THERE, ALL THE EMOTIONS YOU ARE DEALING WITH. MY PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU.
THIS WILL NOT BE EASY, BUT AS YOUR THOUGHTS REFLECT TOWARDS YOUR HUSBAND THROUGHOUT YOUR DAY, REMEMBER THERE ARE THOSE HERE, PRAYING FOR YOU. GOD BLESS

Anonymous said...

hi my husband has been on a field posting for 3 months and I am pregnant with our first child.. its been the hardest time of my life.. i have to go thru the preganacy and birth with out him and the first 8 months of my childs life.. this is the worst ever.. Your blog offers me a place where I can share my fears with the people who understand me and have gone thru the same tough time

Ajay Garg said...

This post on your blog is a very fine piece of writing and expresion. It is very emotional, no doubt, but it is not at all an over-display of emotions. It is a truth and there is no harm in expressing it. And that poem does make one cry. It is really beautiful and heart-touching one. Congrats for such a nice piece. Keep writing.

Anonymous said...

पता नहीं एक बेटी की उदासी को सरकारें समझती हैं या नहीं. यूं मैं फौज के खिलाफ हूं. दिल से भी और दिमाग से भी. आखिर जरूरत क्या है? क्या कोई ऐसा तरीका नहीं हो सकता कि सरहदों की हिफाजत हम अमन और चैन से करें. चलिए मान लेते हैं सरहदें एक ईकाई बनने के लिए जरूरी हैं. जैसे एक व्यक्ति एकांत चाहता है उसी तरह मुल्क भी अपना एकांत अपनी दुनिया बना सकता है, लेकिन किसी और के जीवन या उसके अरण्य में बिना उसकी इजाजत के कोई क्यों जाना चाहता है. ये मेरी समझ से परे है. काश हम एक फौजविहीन दुनिया में जी सकते.

Anonymous said...

अपनी तरह का सबसे अनोखा ब्‍लॉग। गहरी संवेदनाएं। छूने वाली पंक्तियां। अनुभव का अलहदा किनारा। बहुत बधाई।

Anonymous said...

This is such a touching post and brings back memories. I remember my little son asking me why dad had to leave. After leaving him at the airport one day, the little one fell asleep. When we were almost home he heard a plane above him and woke up remembering and pointing to it started crying for his dad to come back home. The second one had a different tactic. He used to wait with a home-wear tee shirt for him, not letting him wear his going out clothes as he was convinced that would make his dad remain home.

Anonymous said...

It is very difficult to understand the feelings of the young ones when u leave them. my son becomes quiet when he knows that i have to leave him for long. He acts like a good boys no pranks or naughty things hoping that his father will stay. Children are strange and these days i tell him if you want to avoid such things in your life donot join the forces i feel guilty saying so but seeing the attitude of the public towards the forces i feel i am justified

Anonymous said...

The blog is doing a terrific job. I am sure sooner rather than later, the nation will awaken to the realities and the military will get aptly rated.

Insha Allah!

Anonymous said...

Another issue where welfare org/meetings in units could do lot to educate mothers specially young mothers.

Hope this issues result in some thoughts at appropriate level and some concrete action.

Ambreen- keep up the GOOD work.

उपमिता said...

Its really hard for a daughter...but once she understands that her father has a big responsbilty she will definately understand it. daughters are always understanding and mature...but on other hand very emotional also...
mam its great to go through your blog..its very similar to what i feel..thanks for expressing that in your blog....u give words to my thoughts will like to read it thousand times....